Thursday 26 August 2010

I'm still here!!

Apologies for not writing for a while. Been concentrating on getting better! Went to Clatterbridge yesterday (that’s the oncology hospital where I’ll be having my treatment) to have my mould fitted. Basically they cover the top half of you in plaster of paris and use the mould to create a perspex shape of your head and neck that they will put over you during treatment to keep your head in the exact same position every time they point the x rays at you. Will be back next week for a planning meeting to go through the details of all the treatment so I’ll know more then I hope.
Had my hair cut quite short today! Not too short, but had a fair bit off. I read that having it short helps as the chemo can make it more brittle and so it’s less likely to break off if it’s short. And if it does all fall out it will be less dramatic if it’s shorter! I’m not too worried about it, I know I’ll cry my eyes out if it does all fall out, but I’ll get used to it and it will grow back!
I’m more worried about the radiotherapy, it can make you mouth very sore and blistered so it will be difficult to eat and drink and to speak, but it will only last a couple of months and I have to keep reminding myself of that. I’m doing so well now and I just have to remember that I’ll get back to this in time, in fact I’ll be even better!
Had a lovely day today with friends coming to visit and fish and chips for tea! Also, the two stitches left in the front of my lip have come out so i’m very happy about that (it’s the little things these days!)
Will try and keep this updated more, but there’s not too much going on at the moment!! Thanks for your continued support!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ruth, its Joanne. Great to hear your update- it's good to know things are moving smoothly towards your treatment.
    Mum has been proudly telling us how she has posted a comment, but having had a good look there is no sign.... I wonder where on the web she has posted it??!!
    We are thinking and talking about you constantly - we love our brave cousin so much!
    Big kiss - hope to see you soon, Joanne xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete