Tuesday 10 August 2010

I love water!!!

Hi again! Doing better still today. The mornings are always hard when i first get up, but things start to get a bit better when the painkillers kick in and various people have come to check on me and tell me I’m doing well. The surgical team are really pleased with the way everything looks so far. I saw the speech therapists for the first time today, they were very pleased with how I’m speaking so far and said there is no reason they can see yet that my speech won’t be really good in the end. The worst part about this is not eating. That would be a great comfort right now. They feed me through a drip but it makes me feel very sick, started on sips of water today so I can swallow a bit so the therapists want to see me going onto baby food in the next couple of days so i’ve been practicing my swallowing (so far i’ve been a very dribbley mess!!) but when i get that sorted i can start eating to i really want to do that!! Been seeing the physio too, he’s very impressed but I don’t think he’s used to looking after anyone so young!!

It is hard being on a ward of old people who mainly have cancer, but there is one great woman called Sybil, we have a pact on that in a years time we’ll both be fine and fitting fight, so if she can do it at pushing 80 I think I can too!!

I never knew how much I loved water until today, being able to shower and have a drink have been the highlights of my day!!!

4 comments:

  1. Keep going girl you are such an inspiration right now too all those who have, are or know someone who is struggling with this kind of stuff.
    You're amazing and it seems like you made a nice friend :) xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruth, I just had to let you know that I am so impressed with a) you, your determination and how positive you are, and b) your writing - your blog is really good! You're so inspiring and I really really hope you keep getting better at the rate to seem to be. To be honest, does this thing even stand a chance against you?! :)
    All my best wishes and some love too!
    Katie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply inspiring. Good on you girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ruth
    Ellie and Jon Hughes here - I agree with Dave and Rosemary on their previous post...we have such fond memories of you from our time at King's and ever since we heard the news of the tumour and your operation we have been thinking of you daily, and praying heaps for strength and healing. Also that you and all your family and boyfriend have every resources you need to face all you're up against. It sound like you're doing an amazing job of recovering already! I'm a speech therapist myself and was amazed to hear your trachy is already out and you're starting to practice swallowing and can take sips, and thrilled that your speech is recovering well - you go girl! Just make sure you keep a lovely broad sheffield accent! Have they taken any tissue from your leg or arm to rebuild your tongue? You must be so sore bless you. It must be such a pleasure for the nurses and therapists to have such a young whippersnapper to look after, but we're so sorry you're having to deal with all this. I'm sure having goals to work towards each day will help, and of course you're going to have real down days as well as the amazing positivity you exude, but please know, even when things are tough, you have hundreds of people willing and praying you onwards and upwards.... thank you so much for sharing your journey with us all, you really are an inspiration!
    Wow, what a long message - you're probably going to need a lie-down again now! (you can tell it's me Ellie writing this, not Jon!)
    Look after yourself and see what wonderful concoctions people can make for you to make that puree stage a bit more interesting...you can give points for tastiness and how much chocolate they've managed to incorporate!
    Big love and hugs to you Ruth,
    Ellie & Jon Hughes xxxx

    ReplyDelete