Wednesday 1 September 2010

So glad to be 23!

Hola! Went back to Clatterbridge yesterday to have my planning meeting. They fitted my mask and put me in a simulator machine so they can see exactly where they are going to aim the treatment. Was pretty simple and just gave me an idea of what the radiotherapy will be like. I start next Tuesday for 6 weeks, with my first round of chemo on the wedesday. I also met the team at the hospital who look after patients aged 16-24. They were so lovely and having that extra support is really nice. The ward where I’ll stay is also really nice, much better that the rest of the hospital. I’ll get my own room, with a bed in for my mum to stay!! and there’s a lounge with a tv and playstation and Wii that i can use whenever I’m in the hospital even when I’m not staying overnight. The team has a nurse, psychologist and social worker to help with various things and it’ll also be a good way to meet other young people with cancer who are going through the same thing as me.They organise all sorts of trips and things so it should be good. It’s at least given me something to look forward to, as I’m not particularly looking forward to the treatment starting!! It’s going to be a really hard couple of months, but it’s for the best in the long run and after this it will be done and over with and I’ll be better again in no time!! Got christmas to look forward to, not to mention mine and Kev’s holiday we’re planning for next year! (I might wait till all my hair has fallen out before I go to the travel agent to get an even better sympathy inspired deal!!)
Being in Thirsk getting looking after by my mum has been lovely, but I’m looking forward to getting back to Liverpool for a bit and seeing my friends!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds great although you'd obviously prefer not to be going through this. I'm always amazed at how upbeat you are. Glad you are Katie's and our friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone at St Gabriel's is praying for you, Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth...what an amazing blog... I've just read all of it. I'm so in awe of by your attitude...flippin inspirational! xx

    ReplyDelete