Thursday 19 August 2010

On to the next step

Hello again. I’m doing well, feeling almost back to normal. Went to the hospital yesterday and had the staples taken out of my leg, there were 50 of them! It is one massive scar, but I love it, ha. News from the hospital was good, they got all of the tumour in the operation which is the most important part. The cancer had spread to two of the lymph nodes they removed, but was still contained within them (I’m sure there are people out there who understand this far better than e but I’ve been told that’s a good sign as it won’t have spread anywhere else. Met with the radiographer (described by infamously tackless surgeon as ‘being rather brash’ so you can imagine what he was like!) he has recommended that I have post-operative chemoradiation, which is six weeks of radiotherapy with three sessions of chemo mixed in. It was hard to hear this from the doctors and I got quite upset as they listed off all the possible side effects like they have to! But I am willing and ready to do whatever it takes to make sure this thing never comes back! The chemo won’t be too harsh as it’s not as often as it can be and you can’t predict how each person will react so I’ll have to wait and see. The radiotherapy will also be hard as it will be targeted on my mouth so my speech and eating is likely to get worse again. But I just keep telling myself that it will only be 6 weeks and then things will turn around again. If I can get through such a major operation so well I’m sure I can face this too. And again, age is on my side and being young often makes you more resilient to these things. It was because I’m so young and can cope with it and need it gone for a long time that he wants me to have the chemo on top!
Going to the oncology hospital next week to have my mask fitted (you have to wear a perspex max to protect the rest of your head from the x-rays) and to see their dentist to make sure my teeth look ok. Then back the following week for a planning meeting where from what I gather they just practice what they’re going to do to you! Then I’ll be back in liverpool full time for the treatment the following week I think.
So, in the mean time I’m going to enjoy the next few weeks of feeling a bit better before the treatment starts. Kev will be at the b&b over the bank holiday weekend so we will make the most of spending time together!

Thanks so much to everyone for all the kind messages and cards. It is so appreciated xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

3 comments:

  1. So thankful for this good news Ruth! You will cope. As granny says we always do. Apparently it's all in the genes!! Good on Kev too. What a difference its made to have his support. The next 2 months will soon be over then a good lead up to Xmas. Love you. (No 1 godmother)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure you will be fine, the worst thing about radiotherapy is the travelling back and forth everyday I found it tiring but I did end up with a very sun tanned boob (or what is left of my boob). Pauline x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ruth,
    Wanted to make a comment for a while but wasn't sure what/how to say things that wouldn't sound too cliche or silly, but just to let you know I am genuinely in awe of your strength (and humour!) and know you will face whatever this next stage brings the same.
    Look forward to bumping into you on the streets of Liverpool soon!
    Much love, Suzanne x

    ReplyDelete