Saturday 16 October 2010

Radiotherapy.....DONE!!!

So, my radiotherapy is all finished!! Had my last session yesterday morning. I’m so made up to be finished, it’s great feeling that they aren’t going to do anything more to my poor mouth and skin. The doc says it will get worse for a few days before it starts to feel better as it heals, but even psychologically I already feel better just knowing it’s over. Looking at my mouth is horrible, literally every bit is covered in blisters but at least I can only feel about 1 third of my tongue! Although the new thigh flap bit of my tongue is blistered and swollen as well I have no feeling in it, so it could feel a lot worse!! I am in a lot of pain and everyday they are increasing the amount of morphine I’m on to try and get the right balance so hopefully we’ll get that sorted soon and the pain will just start to die down too.
I’m still exhausted and that will last quite a while, but hopefully as I start to feel better I will be able to sleep more. Think I will be out on Monday, depends on how I feel though. Back in next week for my last chemo then fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong it will be bye bye to Clatterbridge! They took some blood yesterday and were about worried about some of it, like my red blood cell count was quite low so they will take some more on Wednesday and decide then if I’m up for the last chemo or not!
The last six weeks have gone much faster than I thought they would and it has been hard, but they kind of prepare you for the absolute worst so I was expecting worse. I’m so pleased I’ve managed to keep eating enough and getting my nutritional drinks down me that I haven’t had to have a feeding tube! I warned them I was stubborn enough to do it and I’ve even managed to put on 2 kilos!! haha, nothing stops me!
It’s been such a bizarre few months and I can’t believe it’s nearly at an end. I’m so excited now at the thought of getting my life back to normal, there is so many little things I’ve missed. It’s going to take a long time to get totally well again, I’m going to feel quite tired for a good few months, but I’ll get there and it will have been so worth the whole thing!!

9 comments:

  1. Hip hip hooray!!! No more radiothrapy!! So glad we are nearing the end and will soon have you back home! Love you lots xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Hip hip hooray!!! We thought about you all day yesterday. Looking forward to catching up with you in person soon - wanting to give you a BIG kiss and hug! Lots of love, Joanne (Ben,Poppy and Amber xxx)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not be more proud of you Pook, you are a determined young scamp indeed, not that I think anyone doubted that for a moment. Thinking about you always, you queen!! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunty Lorna & Uncle Peter16 October 2010 at 12:05

    We are so relieved that the radiotherapy is now over. We are in constant touch with your mum. We have decided that you have some good Westerman genes!! (Ask your mum). Lots of love xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic Ruth!!! Well done for staying focussed and positive. Today is the beginning of the rest of your life - have a fantastic one!!!! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a girl you are!! Brave: courageous: Optimistic: determined: an overcomer!! God bless you with total healing Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurrah! So very pleased for you Ruthie - you are one tough cookie - an inspiration. Well Done.
    Marlise
    xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant!!! Well done...you've been so brave to stay so strong!
    Wishing you a speedy recovery...much love katie & lexi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic news that your treatment is over Ruth! You have been so strong and now you can put all of that strength into getting better and better! We are thinking of you all the time and your holiday plans sound amazing! Love from Helen, James and Ambrose xxxxx

    ReplyDelete