Sunday 19 September 2010

Still plodding on

Hi again everyone.
At the end of my second week of treatment now. Everything has been going ok, but I have to say that I am exhausted! I never knew you could have this little energy and still actually be alive! But I’m getting there, just not really doing anything other than going to the hospital and having lots of naps! My mouth has started to get very dry and sore, but I’m managing ok so far. Just sipping lots of water and not eating anything too dry. The doctors have given me lots of creams and rinses for my mouth so hopefully it won’t get too bad.
Everyone at the hospital have been so nice. I think it’s because I’m so much younger than most of the other patients there, but I’m now pretty well remembered by most of the staff!! It does make the whole experience better going to a hospital where the staff are so nice and the facilities are so good.
I met a young guy this week at the hospital who also has cancer. It was nice to meet someone else my age going through something similar and who is also up for laughing about things!
It’s been so nice having the weekend off, only problem is I don’t want to go back for more treatment tomorrow. It’s hard knowing that the treatment is going to make me feel more ill and sore than I do already. Part of me wants to turn round and just say that I’m not doing it anymore. In theory I could, it’s up to me to put myself through this, but obviously I’m going to keep going, I’m not completely stupid.
Just focusing on getting through the next 4 weeks, not had time to think much about what happens after that, just taking every day as it comes!! Still feeling pretty positive and I’m really glad that I’ve managed to stay that way throughout. I’m glad I’m old enough to have some perspective on things and make too much of a drama over this, but young enough to give it a good fight. I’m not saying it’s been easy because it really hasn’t, but I hope I always look back on this and remember the good things, like how strong I’ve learnt I am and how supportive all my family and friends have been. It has really made me appreciate how good my life is and how lucky I truly am!!

6 comments:

  1. We love you so much - keep up the fight and think to the future xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep going Ruth .... loads and loads of love. God bless, Rich A

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi ruth, just seen that you've got cancer, on facebook. just wanted to send you lots and lots of love from us all. if i was nearer i'd bring up some rugrat and friends dvds for old time sakes! :) i'm praying for you massively. lots and lots of love, sara (was donald) x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The good book tells us many times to "be strong and courageous" and you're certainly being that. Good on yer Ruth. God bless and strengthen you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ruth just remember the motto and LIVESTRONG!!! Not sure if it is your cuppa tea, but I have read Lance Armstrong's book on his fight and it was inspiring to say the least - let your Dad know if you would like to read it and I will pass it on to you - keep smiling!!!
    Timbo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep fighting huni! so lovely to spend a few days with you last week. and see the amazing people who care for you in hospital :) love u lots see u in 2 weeks when you'll be practiacally finished! :) xx

    ReplyDelete