Saturday 25 September 2010

Ouch!

Hello! I’m doing ok, but starting to get quite sore now. My mouth is full of ulcers and blisters and my throat is very sore! Also I’m starting to sound like someone who has smoked 40 cigarettes a day for 40 years!! It’s hard and I’m struggling to eat now and not sleeping too well, it’s also hard to talk and my face is getting quite swollen, but it’s all in a good cause! They’ve given me lots of painkillers and mouth washes and all sorts of things to cope with the pain which is good. Plus I’m half way through now so the end is definitely in sight. It’s so nice having the weekends off, I’ve never appreciated it so much before. I’m at home this weekend, getting some much needed tlc from my mum and dad. Back to Liverpool on Monday! Gonna be a tough week this week, double dose of radiotherapy on Tuesday which totally wipes you out then my second cycle of chemo on Wednesday so I’m probably going to feel incredibly tired by the end of it. My doctor has decided to change the type of chemotherapy drug that I am on to one called Carboplatin. The first one that I was on has slightly damaged my hearing (I don’t really understand how!?) which isn’t a big problem now and should get better but if I continue on it it could do more permanent damage. The new drug is very similar to the old one just won’t damage my ears!
I’m looking forward to the end of treatment so so badly now. I just can’t wait till I’m back to normal and can enjoy eating and going out with my friends again! Me and Kev have a holiday booked for next summer which is definitely keeping me going, I think about it every time I’m strapped down to the radiotherapy machine!!
Trying to keep my spirits up, even though I know this will all get harder over the next few weeks, but anything to be cancer free right!?!
xxxxxxxxxx

5 comments:

  1. Keep the end in sight Ruth. We're thinking about you everyday. I could burst with pride that we are related!!!! Love you lots - Joanne xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep going Ruth ... think you're amazing!!!! really amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth = what a brave soldier you are. I have so much respect for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) hugs see u in 2 weeks!!!!!!:) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are a real inspiration Ruth, you are so positive, Im praying for you Karen xxx

    ReplyDelete