Saturday 31 July 2010

I have something to tell you.........

......how many times have I had to say that this week?!?

Ok, so to put it plainly, the reason I’m writing this blog is because I have cancer. It’s not a way for extra attention or sympathy, more a way to keep up to date with people and keep in touch with the world. Also, I hope I can show that while it isn’t going to be easy I can remain positive and still find the good things in life!! (although I’m sure I’ll probably still have my moments of utter despair!)

I’ve been having problems with my tongue for a little while now and after a referral to the hospital and numerous tests they confirmed that it is cancer. I have a fairly large tumour on my tongue which will be removed next week! I’ll write an update on the procedure when i know a little more about it myself! The good news is that the cancer hasn’t really spread any further. There is some chance that it could be spreading to my lymph nodes so they’re getting removed too as a precaution!! Then it will be on to some kind of therapy depending on the results of the tests done after the op.

I guess the strangest and hardest part was just not expecting to have mouth cancer at all, let alone at the age of 23. I don’t think I know anyone else my age who has had cancer and the reaction I get from most people is shock. It goes to show really that you can never predict these things. I read that you’re most likely to get mouth cancer if you are; over 45, male, a heavy smoker, or heavy drinker. Well, I’m none of those things yet here I am!

Anyway, enough for now but please do keep reading and i’ll try and update as much as possible!!

Much love xx

12 comments:

  1. Your amazing Ruth Collington. Bring it on. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fru Cotton you are very special to us Whiteheads and we will be praying for you every day - Be strong and courageous. You are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth totally amazing chicken! Totally in my thoughts loving your positivity x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth I hope you make a speedy recovery & your blog will hopefully make everyone aware that no matter what age we are cancer might give us a nasty lil surprise.

    1 in 3 people will have some form cancer yet people still seemed shocked that it can happen to someone they know.

    It's been drummed into me & my sis for as long as I can remember that if we find any kind of lump or bump no matter where it is we should have it checked out because when my mum was 22 she found a lump in her neck that turned out to be hodgkins lymphoma & if it wasn't for my nan marching her to the doctors she'd have just ignored it and my sis would have grown up not knowing her mum & I'd never have been born!

    And if I get to bump into you soon there'll be a massive hug to say how amazing you are & you can kick that cancers backside! :O)

    loads of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. u are a totally amazing person !! asomeone to aspire to xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I had no idea! That is crazy. But yes, you are amazing, and your positivity is inspiring, good luck with the op, Im sure everything will be fine :) Love u lots hope to see you soon xoxoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. aww Ruth, im really sorry to hear that. i hope everything goes as well as it can. look after yourself. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Be praying for you, be strong and courageous as God is with you every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed" 2 Cor 4:7-9 On Christ the solid rock we stand!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ruth - you are in our thoughts and prayers every day.
    Much love from Rod and all at Northallerton

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pleased you are safely ensconced in a B&B. You are doing so well!! Me too! I can now comment on a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ruth i cant believe it when i saw you before i went on holiday you were ok, i hope you get better soon :) rutherella :)

    ReplyDelete